Saturday, July 28, 2012

Why You Should Go to ASP

BY DREW SWEDBERG



              It’s hilarious how chance can make you appreciate everything so much more.  It was by chance that I attended this program, but now looking back I cannot imagine what my summer would have been like if I had not been here.  It was by pure dumb luck that I was here in the first place, but that luck, whether it was part of my destiny or not, brought me to this beautiful place where I made more friends in five weeks than I have in my six years of high school.  What would have happened if I hadn’t decided that the meeting was better than the class I was sitting in on?  What if I had been in the middle of a test instead of listening to a lecture?  What if I had lost the letter instead of picking it up a week before the first part of the application was due?  What if I had listened to my friends instead of my heart?  Quite simply, I wouldn’t be where I am today; I wouldn’t be confident in the major I want to go into, and I wouldn’t be leaving this place with no regrets and with so many new and incredible friends.
                  Let’s quickly discuss the reasons for going to a nerd camp.  First off, I believe you may want to change your definition of nerd if you are to call it this.  The nerds here are capable of running two miles in under twelve minutes, dancing in a crowded and sweaty place, and singing to their heart’s content in front of hundreds at a talent show.  The people here are not your stereotypical nerds; they are people just like the rest of us that all have one thing in common: dedication.  The students here aren’t here to have fun, although time and time again they find themselves doing just that.  They are here to get ahead using St. Paul’s prestigious advanced studies program that takes the best and brightest from New Hampshire.  I guess it just so happens that the best and brightest aren’t just nerds.
                  Opportunities like this do not come up every day in a typical high school setting, and so I must advise you to take advantage of the hard work you put in to be part of the elite in your school, and attend this program.  For those of us who have attended, there aren’t any regrets being left behind.  Perhaps you left your friends behind to go away for five weeks, and perhaps it was even against their ideas, but just realize that as you go home to the people who miss you, you leave behind a great deal of friends who are missing you and the place you left.

No comments:

Post a Comment