Saturday, July 28, 2012

Stay Tuned!

BY SAI SHYAMSUNDAR



         The students at the ASP face a rigorous five-and-half week program, testing their knowledge in a variety of fields. But this program is also a time for some enjoyment. A few students have enjoyed their time here by singing, dancing, and performing which brought out the ASP spirit of “courage” extolled by Chaplain Katie Solter at the Opening Night Service.
         For Brendan Jones, an ASP student enrolled in Studio Arts, music has always been a part of his life even as a kid. He used to watch Disney movies while his mother sang around the house. He said, “When I was 7 or 8, my brother, Drew, got into music and started playing guitar. And then I started listening to music. I was fascinated by the idea that you could create music and sounds. When I was 12, I started playing the guitar and drums on and off, and when I got to high school, I joined chorus and band where I developed my musical skills some more.” Jones has already performed for ASP students at Chapel, talent show, and on a WSPS radio show. He also hopes to play at the next talent show.
         Many vocalists have also risen from the shadows and trained their voices. Breanna Mochida, an Astronomy student at the ASP, was originally part of the ASP singing group, which disbanded. According to Mochida, this was due to date and time issues along with major courses, writing workshop, and sports. The entire group felt it was not fair having rehearsals, which cut into other people’s busy schedules like Astronomy and Ecology. Instead she has moved on to giving solo performances and duet performances at the talent show. 
        Dancing has also been popular among many people here at ASP. Students worked together with their entire dorm and rehearsed a combination of singing and dancing for a serenade. Students took the responsibility of learning all the songs and dance steps in order to give an outstanding performance. For example, Justin Daignault said, “I took up the responsibility of choreographer because I was one of the few people in our dorm that had previous dance experience. My interest in dancing originates from the notion that movement can create emotions. I took dance first session and I learned a variety of new skill sets that I can use at my disposal.”

No comments:

Post a Comment