Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Many Faiths, One Conversation

By SAISHRAVAN SHYAMSUNDAR
On June 22, 2012, several students were dropped off around noon to start attending the 55th session of the St. Paul’s ASP summer program. It was a thrilling experience for many as they began their lives at St. Paul’s campus. The whole campus was immensely large and many pine and oak trees surrounded the campus. On the opening day, students were required to attend the First Night Service at Chapel. Considering this, one may reasonably ask: does the Chapel and First Night Service make people feel welcome, whatever their faith traditions?


A majority of the students who attend ASP practice Hinduism, Christianity, and Buddhism. Buddhism is a philosophy that encompasses a variety of traditions, beliefs, and practices largely based on teachings. Hinduism includes a wide spectrum of laws and prescriptions of daily morality. And finally, Christianity is a monotheistic based on the life and teachings of Jesus.

Grant Edwards, House Supervisor of Armour feels touched by the magnificent feel of the Chapel. When I asked him what religion he practiced, I was learned he was Roman Catholic. Then I asked, “How was the assimilation of Chapel?” and he replied, “It blended pretty naturally!” He told me that the Chapel was a nice extension in the morning and it helped him become unified with himself as well as the environment and cleansed and purified his spirit. I wondered how a person of a different religion would feel, rather than a current practitioner of Christianity.

I was struck that Matt Maley, a House Intern, had changed from being an atheist to an agnostic. I had never met a practitioner of Atheism and I was curious about what he believes in. I asked him his experience as an atheist, to which he replied that it was a big struggle for him. That day I found out that he grew up Protestant during his childhood but changed to be an atheist, before becoming agnostic. He told me “I just do not believe in organized religion. I believe that I shouldn’t believe in religion and have high expectations.” The thick air was almost palpable but I asked whether he would want to convert. The sweat dropped from face but he told me that if he ever finds a religion that believes in his core principles then he surely would. That day, he gave me some advice. “Trust yourself and your instincts! The more you trust in yourself, the more you will believe in your decisions and will stick with them, no matter who discourages you!” My interview with Matt became more of a conversation than an interview as I got to give out my personal views as well. The presence of Chapel has made Matt question his atheism.

To a practicing Christian, Chapel offers some incentive that makes people reflect on their line of faith. Tim Garrett, a Christian-Methodist, studied in a secular and non-conforming Christian school.” My next question to Tim was what was his opinion on Chapel? He replied, “It slows everything down. It is a time for reflection, prayer, and unity.” It made him believe that even though this is a rigorous five-week course, he is not doing this by himself. What Tim said was true and I got deeper and deeper towards the steps of enlightenment.

The diversity on campus is amazing and brings us all together as one happy family. Everyone practices different religions on campus and this distinct feature separates us from one another in our daily lives. However, Chapel brought us together and now we take this new life on together. Almost every person I talked to said that Chapel brought everything together and made us appreciate nature, others, and ourselves. As I begin my next journey, I can truly say that Chapel is a place for all diversities and   everyone’s ideas are welcome. SGI President Daisaku Ikeda states, “Philosophy should inspire people with a sense of purpose and instill in them the power to lead life to the fullest.”

No comments:

Post a Comment